Monday, April 7, 2008

Family Visit: Asakusa & Imperial Palace

On the third day we went to the traditional area of Asakusa to see Sensoji Temple. I visited when it snowed in February, and you can see the photos here.
It was much busier this time, but it was Sunday. I guess it would be quieter during a weekday.
This is the view I sent on a postcard to my family, and they saw it for real! The sakura (cherry blossom) was out 100% by now, so their visit was really perfectly timed. Thank you to the Church for making Easter early!
My mum was really taken with these samurai swords. We were all really surprised! We didn't buy one because we weren't sure of the laws regarding bringing a sword to the UK, especially after someone was killed with a samurai sword. We guessed they'd be banned so decided against it. Would be great to have one though!

We did buy a Throwing Star though, which will look very impressive. Obviously it's not sharpened.
We went into the gardens that last time were covered in snow, and were now flooded with blossom!

Then we had a wander through some more stalls, and had a tapas-style lunch with lots of different Japanese dishes forming one huge meal. Japan has changed my appetite and it was the first time in my life my mum gave me more food because she thought I needed fattening up! (Don't worry, I'm eating chocolate as I write this!)
Then we had a coffee in a very expensive coffee shop that was playing Lily Allen and planned our afternoon. I had written Ueno Park on the itinerary but everyone was too worn out for that so we decided to skip and go straight to the Imperial Palace near Tokyo station.
We took the Ginza subway line to Ueno station, and then transferred to the JR Yamanote line for Tokyo station.
Of course, as soon as we left Tokyo station's Renaissance-style facade, it started pouring with rain, but we pressed on to find the Imperial Palace.


The view was very atmospheric, albeit a little wet!

We went back to the station for dinner (the restaurant area inside Tokyo station near Yaesu North exit is actually really good - you'd never go to a station in the UK for a nice meal!) and headed home for some rest.

No comments: