Friday, March 21, 2008

Reserving Shinkansen Tickets in English

No mean feat!

I went to Tokyo station yesterday (which was the Vernal Equinox public holiday where people visit their ancestors' graves) to investigate Shinkansen (bullet train) ticket prices from Tokyo to Kyoto for my family for the Kansai-leg of our holiday.

Yesterday seemed to go swimmingly, except for the crazy price of Y123,000 (over £600) for five of us (four adults, one child) so I told them I'd return tomorrow (today) and buy them then. I spoke with my family that evening and discussed the best course of action. We decided to go ahead and buy the reserved tickets. I did find unreserved tickets that were much cheaper from a ticket machine at the station for Y71,000 (£350) but unreserved means there is no guarantee of a seat, or that you will be together, plus it will probably be a smoking area. Those tickets are valid for seven days after purchase.

So today I went back to buy the reserved tickets. I didn't get as lost in the maze of underground tunnels and shopping malls as I did yesterday, but it wasn't easy to find the Midori no Madoguchi (Reservation Window).

I got to the front of the line and asked if the man spoke English, same answer as usual - "sukoshi" (a little).

I had written my request for times and type of train down in kanji so I just pointed at it and said "Kore o totte okitai desu" which is probably wrong but it's the closest to "I want to reserve this" that I know! He seemed to understand anyway, and put all the information into the computer and showed me the price. Same as yesterday, Y123,000. I gave him my VISA debit card and everything seemed to be going well. What followed then was about twenty minutes of miscommunication, which eventually resulted in me understanding that there was a limit on my card of Y60,000. He told me I should ring VISA to change it, but I asked if I could pay Y60,000 by card, and the rest in cash. He said that was "Daijoubu" (this is the most useful phrase in the world I think. It means "It's fine" or "Sure" and I say it at least five times every day). I told him I would come back soon, and he held the tickets for me.

So I trekked to several ATMs, all of which didn't accept foreign cards, so I had to go and try to find a combini (convenience store) but stumbled upon a yuubinkyoku (post office) with an ATM Corner. This did take foreign cards so I took Y40,000 (£200) from my Nationwide account. It wouldn't let me take more than this, whether that's because my account had no money left, there was a limit on the card, or on the ATM, I don't know. But I got another Y10,000 from my Lloyds TSB account and headed back to Tokyo station.

I queued again, and waited until the same man was free. This time it was very easy. He took Y60,000 from my debit card, and the rest in cash. I even got Y1,000 change! In the middle of this, a Japanese woman who randomly spoke excellent English interrupted and asked the man to write something down for her, but I didn't mind. Once again, "daijoubu"! I told the woman her English was "sugoi" (great).

The seats I reserved were in the non-smoking section, and were in one row. Shinkansen seats are three on one side, two on the other, so my family will fill a row. My logic for choosing this, rather than a clump of seats, was that whichever side of the train the sights like Mt Fuji are, we will be able to take photos without leaning over anyone. The only thing I'm unsure about is the direction the seats are facing, I don't know if we'll be going backwards or forwards (I later found that all the seats are forward-facing), which may be unpleasant but fingers crossed it will all be okay!

The man gave me five JR rulers, which was very nice, and I thanked him many times and said "Anata wa shinsetsu desu" (You are kind).

I had no idea there was a limit on my card, but Sakura House took Y80,000 from it without a problem occuring. Maybe they did two transactions or something.

We've decided against buying JR Rail Passes for the duration of the holiday because the price of the Shinkansen tickets falls just short of the JR Pass' cost. Random trips on the Yamanote line around Tokyo won't make up the difference, but if the trip to Hakone we'll do was on a JR Line, then it would be worth it, but it's not so we will do without.

Either way, I walked away with a sense of satisfaction, pleased to have accomplished something!

6 comments:

Unknown said...

おめでとう!Congratulations on successfully buying the shinkansen tickets!! :-) Yeah, traveling domestically in Japan is sooooooooooooo expensive!! 高すぎ! I couldn't believe how much I had to pay for a 2h40m train ride when I went to Osaka too! Hehe. But anyway, I wish you and your family a very nice time together and a safe trip!!

Anonymous said...

Blimey, what a palava.

I've heard Japanese language and culture are particularly alien to British people, and it can be hard to acclimatise. How are you finding it in general?

Aerosol said...

I just stayed up all night, reading your blog from start to where it is now. I'm...in awe.

To me, it's like you've reached the same destination that I'm working towards right now. We're the same age, but obviously you decided what you wanted to do alot sooner than I did! But that's ok, I'm certainly not jealous. I love what you're doing, and I greatly appreciate you writing this blog.

Lemme tell you a little about myself. My name is David Amos. I was born in the good 'ole US of A, but I was raised in London. I'm living in the USA right now though. I'm also 18 years of age, and I also have a HUGE interest in Japan. I'd love to move out there permanently if I could. Reading your blog has just validated my reasons for that desire. I want to be where you are now more than ever!

I have a few questions that I couldn't find in your blog however. Since I'm not living in England at this moment, I'm up the creek as far as getting a Working Holiday Visa is concerned. I know that you don't get issued a Work Visa unless you have proof that you have work, but schools (like Gaba, which I'm actually going to try and get a job with, thanks to you!) generally don't hire you on a tourist visa (which is the only way you can stay in japan for an extended time, to look for work). It's a little confusing!

On top of that, I would like to know one other thing. What kinds of things do you teach in your lessons? And how do you teach them? Do you introduce concepts in English, then elaborate on them in Japanese? That's something that has intrigued me a bit!

Actually, there is just ONE more thing I'd like to know. I'm well aware that foreigners get alot of curious looks, but have you experienced any blatant racism? Or have you seen it? I would imagine not, but I'd also like to know for sure!

Thanks for reading this all the way through, I appreciate it :)

Miles said...

Hi David,

Thank you so much for your comment. It's great to see that this blog helps people!

I will answer your questions in a post as soon as possible. Don't worry, I'm not ignoring you!

Thank you for reading!

Miles

wing_goddess said...

Hello!

I just have to say that i enjoy reading your blog as well! Many times i've been told to wait until i was 20 or 21 because it would be almost impossible to find a job for me (being 19). You're proof that they're wrong. Wish i'd have found this blog sooner cause i'm already set for college this September ^^;; But after a couple years at college I'm going to take the same route you did! Thank god Canada has the Working Holiday Visa ^^;

thanks for the inspiration ^__^
I'm gonna stalk your blog now :\

Aerosol said...

I know what you mean. I've never been so pumped for anything in my life. I've been furiously researching schools and stuff. I'm wild with anticipation! I hope it doesn't kill me while waiting...curse you commonwealth countries!