Monday, March 3, 2008

Softbank Phones For All!

I was under the impression that all Softbank pre-paid (Pay-As-You-Go) service mobile phones were being phased out this year. Recently I have been told otherwise.

Maybe this will cheer you up!

I'd bet you a beer the "phased out" means the 2G service. Here's a press release from Softbank, which states "...2G携帯電話サービス(プリペイド含む)の新規契約申し込み受付を、かねてからご案内しておりましたとおり、2008年3月31日(月)をもって終了します"

"New applications for 2G mobile phone service (including prepaid) will as previously announced no longer be accepted after March 31, 2008". However, the 3rd paragraph explicitly says 3G prepaid service will be introduced from February. Fortunately for all short-term Japan visitors who need a mobile at sane prices!

Many thanks to the almighty Penguin for pointing that out!

Thank you very much.

1 comment:

ThePenguin said...

Pleasure :-). Does that mean you owe me a beer ;). Not sure whether I'm that almighty though - just them darned phones are a subject dear to my heart and your original post had me worried for a bit. (Still, the way things are looking I'll be converting mine into a regular one at soon).