Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Collecting My Chinese Visa

This morning I went back to the Chinese Embassy in Roppongi to collect my Chinese tourist visa. For directions and other information on applying for Chinese visas in Tokyo, please see my previous post.

You can collect the visa 4 days after applying, or you can pay to collect it after two days, but I didn't do that.

I went up to Window 6, which is the first port of call when you enter, and showed the woman my receipt. She gave me a number and told me to pay Y4,000 at a machine in the corner. The machine looked like one of the machines you can buy meals from in restaurants like Matsuya.

I selected the Y4,000 button and inserted the money, and it gave me a receipt. I took that receipt, the receipt they gave me last week and my number up to one of the other windows, and the woman there gave me my passport, complete with Chinese visa! I was very happy to have it all sorted. This time I was only in the Embassy for ten minutes, including a trip to the toilet!

So now I'm really going to China! Woohoo!

5 comments:

Julie877 said...

Hey!

I have a question.
It is easy to take the train from Narita to West Tokyo? I have never been there. Do you think I would get lost easily?

By the way, your blog is so informative and interesting hehe.
Keep it up!

Julie877 said...

Hey!!!

I have a question.
It is easy to take the train from Narita to West Tokyo with 1 luaggage?
I have never been there ..do you think I will get lost easily? I would like to know since I am going to Tokyo and taking a taxi is way too expensive.

Your blog is sooo interesting. Keep it up hehe

Miles said...

Hi!

Yes, taxis are definitely not an easy option to get to the city from the airport!

The train system is really good, and you can get to Shinjuku by using one train, the Narita Express (although it's cheaper to use local trains, but probably worth using if it's your first time in Tokyo!) They have plenty of room for luggage on those trains. http://www.jreast.co.jp/e/nex/tickets.html

There is also an Airport Limousine Bus that can take you to various places around Tokyo. http://www.limousinebus.co.jp/en/
You can go to Shinjuku, or Kichijoji if where you're going is far out to the west of the city.

Hope that helps! Thank you for reading!

Miles

Unknown said...

Hey Miles,

Your post has been extremely helpful. Ive been trying to call the embassy (as I live in Sendai) and my limited Chinese and Japanese have made it difficult. I have a few questions that maybe you could help answer?

1. I don't live in Tokyo, so I wanted to hand off my passport to a friend to file my application for me. Is that ok? Or do I have to be present myself for it?

2. I am American, so I know my fee will be high. Were there any other fees aside from the visa itself? Do you also pay in JPY or are other currencies accepted to?

Thanks again! Its been extremely helpful so far thanks to you.

Miles said...

Hi Justin,

First of all, I'm so sorry it's taken me this long to reply to your message. I lost the comment and couldn't find it until now.

And I'm afraid I don't know the answer to your first question unfortunately, although I would put money on having to do it yourself. Please let me know if you find out something different though.

And secondly, there were no other charges for me except for the visa, and yes I had to pay in yen.

I hope that's somewhat helpful. Apologies again for the delayed reply.

Miles