Saturday, July 3, 2010

One Week Left!

Oh wow, time is going so quickly! I now have just one week left to do everything I want to do and say goodbye to everyone I want to see!

My schedule is ridiculously full of things I'm doing, but I suppose that's the best way to end a year abroad - not give yourself time to think!

Because I'm so busy I don't think I'll have time to write any posts until I get back home now. I'll fill in the blanks once I'm back, so don't be confused if things appear in an odd order for a while!

For now, I'm going to try to enjoy my last few days in Japan as much as I can. Which means trying not to be sad that I'm leaving, and focussing on the positive. I'm glad I'm sad to be leaving, otherwise it would mean that I hadn't enjoyed my year abroad as much as I have!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Miles,

I am presently living in Toyama, Japan (a JET ALT from the USA). I am looking at universities in the U.K. that offer Japanese studies. My husband has been accepted to Cambridge University, so we will for sure be moving to the U.K. - my only issue is finding the right institution for continuing my education as well. I hadn't considered the U.K. before, that is why my knowledge in the area is pretty sparse.

I am considering such schools as SOAS at University of London, University of Oxford, University of Sheffield, and University of Leeds.

Can you tell me some more about your future plans with Japanese and where you would consider going to school in the U.K.?

I dream to be a professor of the Japanese language some day, so that is the reason I am looking for Japanese studies masters programs.

Advice would be greatly appreciated!

Miles said...

Hi Lizzy!

Sorry for my late reply, I've been really busy lately with settling back into home-life.

I'm not exactly sure where my future will take me with Japanese. I know that I want to use Japanese in my future career, but doing what I'm just not sure. But I think an academic path would be best for me - maybe a University professor. Then there are translation and interpreting routes, and the business path, but I have much less experience with those types of career. I'll have to see where the future takes me!

In terms of places to study Japanese, the University of Leeds is generally regarded as one of the best in the country. And compared to other programmes, it seems to work its students harder, and pushes them to achieve a higher level. But of course I'm probably biased!

While SOAS is meant to be very high-level, people from Leeds seem to have a better grasp of Japanese after one year than the SOAS students who have studied for two before going abroad to Japan.
Sheffield also has a good Japanese programme, and I think its students can reach a high level there.

Oxford of course would have a very good course, being such a prestigious University, but I think its Japanese program is not as highly regarded as other University, such as Leeds, Sheffield or Durham etc.

I hope that helps! Let me know if you have any other questions :)

Miles