Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Japanese Electronic Dictionary

The other day I bought an electronic dictionary (電子辞書, denshi jisho) in Akihabara, the discount electronics district of Tokyo.

I've needed one for years, because they are basically essential for Japanese study. But up to now I really haven't had the money for one, but after being told I'll receive the JASSO Scholarship for three months, I decided that now is the time to buy!

I went to the same stall in Akihabara that Katy bought her's from, because it was very cheap (Y14,800, which is a very good deal). I was a bit worried about buying from a stall instead of a shop, but Katy's has been fine, and it comes with a one-year guarantee. Which probably means it will die as soon the year is up, but we'll see.

The one I bought is a CASIO Ex-word Dataplus 4, and it's a 2008 model. You can write kanji into it using the stylus, and look up both Japanese and English. It also reads out words in both languages. It's so incredibly useful! Especially being able to just write in kanji that you don't know how to read, and it tells you the reading and meaning.

There was a choice of either an American English or a British English model, so of course I chose British!

Electronics dictionaries really are invaluable study tools, so if you don't already have one and are serious about studying Japanese, I really recommend buying one!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello! If you still remember, do you know where in Akihabara electronic dictionaries can be bought? Was it second- hand and is it still working? I would also like to know if it's for English speakers learning Japanese (because the ones in Yodobashi Camera and BIC CAMERA are for Japanese students learning English, gokugo, etc...)
Thanks!

Miles said...

Hi! I'm really sorry but I actually can't remember where I bought it! It was so long ago now... I know it was from a stall along a street-edge, rather than a big store. It was new and still works now, after over two years of use. I think the one I have is made for both Japanese speakers and English speakers, although the menus are all in Japanese so that's probably it's emphasis.

I'm really sorry I can't remember exactly where it was from though!

Miles