Thursday, February 18, 2010

Tokyo Station and Tokyo Tower

Two Saturdays ago, the day after Dan and I went to Yasukuni Shrine, we went to the area around Tokyo station.

It was a gorgeous winter day, with the typical pure blue sky, so the skyscrapers looked amazing.




The first place on our list was the Imperial Palace, so we walked from the station. I didn't take any photos of the Palace itself, because I've been there close to ten times, but I always like the look of this fountain when I pass it.

After the Imperial Palace, Dan and I walked to the Diet Building (国会議事堂, kokkai-gijidou). I was glad he suggested going there, as I've done the major tourist sites in the area so many times, but had never seen the Diet.


And from there we walked to Tokyo Tower. We considered getting the train, but we had a completely free afternoon and the weather was lovely, so we found our way. It took about an hour.


I'm never been to the top observation deck at 250m, because you have to pay extra to go up from the main observation deck at 150m. So we decided to go the whole way and pay the extra. The view was fantastic, but it was a windy day and the Tower was actually swaying. It made us both feel quite motion-sick, so we didn't stay up there too long. But I'm glad I did go up, because I may not have had the chance again.
Mt Fuji was visible, but some clouds got in the way.


Tokyo Bay was also visible, and I'd never seen it "from the air" before, so that was nice.




After Tokyo Tower we decided to head home because we were both quite tired. But it was probably the best day of showing someone Tokyo I've had, because I got to see new sides of places I'd been countless times.

No comments: