Thursday, February 18, 2010

Pancake Day in Japan

Tuesday this week was Shrove Tuesday, so I invited Rob, Katy, Wynne from the guesthouse, and Ella, Matt, Fran and Hattie from the Tokyo University of Foreign Studies round to the guesthouse for the evening, for a good old British pancake day.

I was surprised because Wynne didn't know what Pancake Day, or Shrove Tuesday, was. But then we realised that in America it's usually called Mardi Gras. I assume Pancake Day is a British name for it.

Ella was our resident pancake making genius, so she made the mix, which everyone contributed to with different ingredients. Then she, Fran and I made an assembly line, and made enough pancakes for about two per person.

It was a lot of fun, messy fun, with flour everywhere, but I had a really nice time. It was nice to be able to do something British in Japan properly, as usually something is missing, but we had sugar and lemon (which Wynne found really weird, but it's the standard filling in Britain!), and chocolate spread and bananas too.

I made pancakes when I was here in Japan two years ago, but it was much nicer to share them with lots of friends.

No comments: