Monday, September 28, 2009

Career Option?

I was struck earlier by a very random thought concerning what I could do with my life. I can't even remember why it popped into my head.

I wondered if I could combine two of my passions - Japanese and geography. If you've read a lot of this blog, or even just a little bit, then you've probably noticed that I love talking about the weather (that's not just because I'm British), and earthquakes, volcanoes etc. I find it all fascinating, especially here in Japan, in the centre of all of these natural disasters.

If it's possible, it would be great for me to work at like a Meteorological Agency (気象庁, kishouchou) or something here. But I suppose I would need a degree in Geography for that, which I might be able to do at a Japanese University after my degree at Leeds.

Of course, all of this depends on whether my Japanese actually gets good enough or not, and whether I decide I want to move away from the UK! It's just in the "idea stage" at the moment, but I'm finding myself leaning more towards the business side of things than the teaching side at the moment. I might go back and forth for quite a long time!

Anyway, getting a bit ahead of myself there... First of all, I need to get the results back from my test this morning, and do my Speaking homework!

2 comments:

A.Bee said...

translate geography books into Japanese, maybe?

Miles said...

That's a good idea! It's definitely something I'd be interested in doing.

Thank you for the post! :)

Miles