Sunday, September 27, 2009

One Month In

How fast did that month go!? It's been quite a blur of registration for a variety of things, getting used to new places, meeting new people, and generally loving being back in Japan.

It doesn't feel at all like I've been here again for a month, but I suppose that was to be expected, with everything I've had to sort out.

I just read over the post I wrote when I'd been here for a month last year, and it's interesting to see the differences between then and now.

Last year I was much more preoccupied with thinking about if I would hit any walls that would make me want to run home, and worried about whether I could make it for the whole time I planned to be in Japan. But the main similarity is how quickly time goes! It will slow down as I settle into more of a routine, but only as I'm living it. I know that when I look back, time will have disappeared as quickly as this first month.

I'm really really enjoying being back in Tokyo, and can't wait to meet more of my friends, and see other places I haven't visited yet. It keeps hitting me in waves how happy I am to be back here.

There are of course stresses, like homesickness, which hits me occassionally, although not badly so I'm not worried about it. This last week has been a bit difficult though, and I've been really tired every day. I remember I went through a phase last year when I was exhausted every day and couldn't operate properly, so it might just be that again. Whether that's being away from home, or being in Japan, I'm not sure. But I am sure I'll get over it soon!

I'm enjoying Japanese life again, even the crowded trains home from Shinjuku, and the steep hill on the way to ICU which I cycle up every morning.

I still find it very hard to speak Japanese, as I'm still terrified of making mistakes (it's stupid, I know) but I'm getting better, and I know it's my biggest obstacle, so I can focus on working past it.

I have a big test tomorrow morning on all the kanji, vocabulary and grammar we've studied so far over the last three weeks so I'm revising for that, although it's difficult because I'm so tired! And then the next month looks to be quite busy with study, and hopefully some fun things too! I want to go somewhere for a weekend, maybe to the Hakone hot springs again, or maybe further afield to a place I haven't seen before like Matsumoto in the mountains. We'll see what happens!

4 comments:

Janice Sun said...

I'm a big fan of your blog. Thanks for your brilliant posts about your part of life. I'm rooting you. Good luck on your exam. Janice from Korea.

Miles said...

Aww, thank you so much! That means a lot to me that you read it and enjoy it : )

Thank you for the luck - I think I might need it this morning!

Miles

pkb_jaksel said...

just one month and then another test to run... and yet you still can enjoy your campuss' life. Way t'go, Miles... keep it that way.

And here I am, with too many days off. Hurt me so bad, thiking about my 2 li'l girls. So I guess you're right about the routines. Hope my regular class can start a.s.a.p...

Miles said...

Thank you! I will definitely try to keep it the same!

Good luck with your classes : )

Miles