Sunday, March 16, 2008

Fatigue

It is very strange, but over the last week or so I've been struck by extreme exhaustion.

It got to the point where I would sleep for 11 hours every night, get up for a private lesson, go back to bed for a few hours, and then get up for Gaba in the evening, with the help of three cups of strong coffee.

I have never been so continuously tired in my life. Thankfully, it's gotten better this weekend but I am still yawning at the strangest times.

I really don't know why I feel like this. But I do have some theories.

It could be simply that I'm not used to working evenings and my body is adjusting to the different time of day being the most intensive.

It might be that because I don't have proper days off, as I work long hours over the weekend, and some weekday lunchtimes, and some weekday evenings, that my body is just feeling the strain.

Perhaps I am not getting a vitamin or mineral my body is used to a plentiful supply of because of the change in diet.

It's possible that my being away from home, and trying to fend for myself, encountering obstacle after obstacle, is draining me of energy. Homesickness still hasn't hit me terribly, but I do occassionally stare into space thinking of random places at home, around Birmingham, and in the UK. Places I never thought I'd miss are prominent in my memory, like the Selly Oak Triangle, an area of crazy traffic around Sainsbury's in south Birmingham.

Whatever the reason, I don't like being this tired! Hopefully I'll adjust soon and I'll be back on top form soon. Maybe I just need a break, which the holiday in 11 days will be!

3 comments:

ThePenguin said...

The Selly Oak triangle? Brings back memories - initally the wrong ones (thought at first you meant the bit of the Pershore Road where it splits into two a bit to the north of Kings Norton), but I think I know the area you mean. Not quite as etched into my mind as the Five Ways roundabout though...

I remember suffering from random fatigue on my gap year, even though it wasn't anywhere quite as exotic as Japan. Probably a combination of all the factors you mention. It goes away (eventually, can take a few weeks).

This time round, coming to Japan and starting in a very intensive job almost straight away, I got hit at about the third week by a sort of brain / body overload (change in climate, diet, readapting to Tokyo and Japanese, dealing with new work etc.) and had to have a day off work because I was simply exhausted and incapable of doing anything much.

Jamie said...

Solution to fatigue:

Dont skip breakfast and take some multi-vitamins!

i used to go to college, come home, sleep, wake up, do homework then just sleep again some nites >.<

but i found breakfast helps, multivitamins just make sure you're bodys getting everything it needs!

(PS - in which year of uni are you going back to japan? as its possible i'll be there in the summer of 2010! i owe you a drink for opening up a whole new world for me!)

Miles said...

Thank you very much for the advice! Glad to know it's not just me.

My family are going to bring me some Multi-vitamins next week so hopefully they'll help me. I'm not feeling as tired now though, which I'm very pleased about!

I'll be coming back to Japan in September 2009, and I'll be here then until Summer 2010 so we might overlap a bit Jamie! You don't need to buy me a drink, just seeing that you wrote that made a huge smile appear on my face, and that's thanks enough!

Miles

P.S. Stop mentioning places in Birmingham! It's making me homesick to think of those beautiful traffic jams!