Sunday, March 16, 2008

Monica Wu's Concert

A few weeks ago, I posted about the Taiwanese singer Monica Wu, who is currently performing her new album, Shinkirou, in Tokyo.

Two nights ago, I went to see one of her shows at the JAL City Hotel in Yotsuya, near Shinjuku. It cost Y4,500 (£22.50) for entrance, including a five-course meal, which we ate as she sang three sets throughout the evening.

It was beautiful, and the food was very tasty. And, the singing was amazing. It was great to be so close to her as she sang. Lots of people from the bus tour to Chiba were there and I "chatted" to them in my limited Japanese.

And, as always happens whenever I venture anywhere, I had a microphone shoved in my face!
The conversation between Monica and the announcer lady turned to English words and how Japanese people pronounce them and how native-speakers pronounce them. Monica said 'water' and the announcer couldn't get it quite right, and then Monica pointed me out of about 50 people and said 'He's English, ask him!' Oh dear...

So the announcer brought the microphone over to me, and asked me questions in Japanese! I didn't really understand what she said, but the first word was 'mizu' (water), so I guessed she wanted me to say it. So I said 'water' and everyone clapped. Then she asked me my name (I think) so I said 'Watashi no namae wa Miles' (My name is Miles) and Monica said 'He doesn't speak Japanese' so everyone clapped and the announcer left me be. Why me!? Well, I suppose I was asking for it, being the only foreigner in the restaurant! It was a really nice evening, and you can see the photos and videos below.

If you like what you see, Monica has gigs coming up in Tokyo soon. The next one is on Saturday 5th April in Chiyoda-ku. The details are on her website. I really recommend going, the singing is great, and the conversation is lively and entertaining. Don't miss it!







1 comment:

Unknown said...

Miles, thank you sooooo much for the post!! I almost feel as if I had been there thanks to this post of yours! Thanks!! I wish I had been there for real T.T