Sunday, March 16, 2008

The Master Plan

Right. Plans change.

This is nothing too dramatic, but my plans for my Japan trip have altered since I arrived.

I originally intended to stay in Tokyo until my family came out to see me on holiday in late March/ early April, then move to Kyoto for a few months, and end up in Kyushu for summer, and then fly home in early August.

Now I think I will live primarily in Tokyo for the entire seven months, but take a few weeks off at a time to explore different regions of Japan.

There are several reasons for this:

1) I intended to move away from Tokyo because I thought it would be hideously crowded, noisy, dirty and stressful, but it's not. It's a great city and I'm really enjoying living here. In fact, I would recommend everyone staying in Tokyo for a few months, because it's such an incredible experience.

2) It took me a month to find and start work. While this isn't a long time, relatively speaking, jobs in Tokyo are pretty thick on the ground, and would be much harder to find in Kyoto. Not impossible by any means, but harder. People outside of Tokyo might be less open to learning from an 18-year old, and the pay is bound to be less.

3) Gaba, while it has its faults, is so flexible it suits me great. It allows me to take a few weeks off and go travelling, while I can put private lessons on hold for a week or so just by telling my students when I'm not available.

4) I will still be able to visit all the places I wanted to see, just not experience living there. When I come back for my Uni course in September 2009 I might ask to be located in a smaller city outside Tokyo, if I start to tire of it by the time August arrives.

5) The monthly-stay guesthouses I found in Kyoto are not as good a standard as Sakura House's in Tokyo. They weren't bad, but I could find faults like a) only Japanese-style rooms available, b) electricity is extra cost, c) very expensive, etc.

6) I'm emotionally attached! I love my area, the people I share my guesthouse with, and Tokyo! I don't want to leave them yet!

So that's my reasoning for staying in Tokyo. I hope I don't live to regret it, but I don't think I will, as long as I visit those places on my list.

In terms of the next few weeks, my family arrive in less than two weeks, and are here for nine days. We will spend the first five nights in Tokyo, before going to Kyoto for two days, then returning to Tokyo for their flight home. I can't wait to see them, and it's so surreal that I'll see them soon!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

It can be hard to leave Tokyo, can't it- when I came on a working holiday visa I had similar plans but also ended up staying in the Kanto area the whole time except the first 3 months, which I spent working in Nagano, and a couple of trips to Kyoto.

Then when I came back on a working visa a few years later I was going to spend a year in Kanto and a year in Kyushu- 8 years later, I'm still in Tokyo...

Good to hear you will be coming back for your studies, as you seem to enjoy it here! Have fun.