Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Spring is Here

In mid-February, there were a few days of really strong wind, which made news every day here. It caused a lot of damage, billboards being snapped off Shinjuku skyscrapers, restaurants in Ginza being gutted, and shops' wares flying across roads.

A couple of days after this, I realised that it was Haru-Ichiban. This is the first wind that blows from the south of Japan, and it signifies the start of Spring. This warm wind symbolises something good, but it does it in a rather destructive way! Thankfully, I don't think anyone was hurt this year, but it must have happened in the past.

And, with Spring, comes Japan's prized sakura (blossom). It's hard to explain how much they mean to the Japanese people, having these beautiful natural art-pieces bloom on trees in the darkest, gloomiest corners of Tokyo.

And I didn't really understand, until I saw my first bunch. As it's still only mid-March, they haven't bloomed fully yet, but I hope that by the time my family arrive, the country will be a canvas of pinks and whites.

Here are some photos I took near Kiyosumi Gardens over the Sumida River from my guesthouse.



This tree is directly outside my window. It stands in the centre of the smallest park in the world, basically just a few slabs of concrete and some plants and a tree. But it's the smallest park in the world, right next to me, so I like it.

These two aren't of blossom, I know, but I think they're pretty anyway!

These are not the only symbols of Spring arriving. The temperature has hit 17C several times over the past two weeks, and that was lovely. Unfortunately, with Winter behind us, so are the days of continuous bright, clear blue skies.

Now, there are many dull, overcast days. Everyone seems a little duller in this weather, but I'm very comfortable and at home with the grey and omnipresent twilight - I'm British! What I don't like is that it's already becoming more humid! It's not warm enough to go out without a coat, but I get all sticky and warm with a coat on! Where's the comfortable medium!? Still, better than the 8C and rain that Birmingham has I suppose.

1 comment:

Skuzby said...

hooray lets pay respect to the dead and bullet trains :)

yay i just said bye bye to my parents

to be honest there is a bit of a "oh great its bye again" but its SO much easier saying goodbye a second time! it really is like the ice is broken so now you can just come and go and its easy

i feel broken in :) lol

yeah i think it was really good that they saw me here so they could see me at work and my house and i took a few days off to travel with them so it was brilliant

good luck with the visit and gwarm and i have a month left (4 month total) then back to england for exams

at this stage its like i´d rather stay a bit longer maybe but i have to go back for exams oh well

i think i´ll be glad to go home


how is japan and junk then? are you getting any other visits?