Thursday, March 6, 2008

Update of my Last Few Weeks

I realise that I've been a bit rubbish with my postings recently. This is because I've been so busy and tired with work. Today is my first day off since I started teaching a month ago - so tired!

So this post is just to catch you all up with what I've been up to, and things I've noticed.

First, let's have some pretty photos! This is the building where I work at twilight.

This was in Omotesando towards the end of February. I had to fight through the hordes of couples after Valentine's Day to take this photo.

Now for some of the random things I've seen around the place.

Some vending machines around bus stations and train stations accept Pasmo cards as payment for the drinks or food! Brilliant!

One day on the way home from work I passed a girl in Omotesando station who was staring at me (more than usual I mean) and I glanced at her. Then I realised that I recognised her! She'd been sitting opposite me a few days before on the subway!! A city of 12 million people odd and it's still not impossible to see someone twice!

After that, I went up onto the platform and there were two Americans shouting at the top of their voices. Absolutely everyone was staring at them and I wondered if they were drunk, but they seemed perfectly sober. Just very loud. You're giving gaijin a bad name! Shut up! They got on the same train carriage as me and continued their conversation, or shouting match. Grgh.

Bratz dolls are available here. Enough said.

I was waiting for a student at Gaba one day and I started rumaging through the bookcase they have in the waiting area, and I came across a book all about the best places to drink tea in Britain! It was written in Mr Scruff's trademark handwriting so I'm sure he must have had something to do with it. It was an amazing experience. Mr Scruff is a British DJ who plays up and down the country, and pretty much every year at the Big Chill festival, at the beginning of August. If you can go, I really recommend it. It's a great, relaxed weekend.

Last one now. I saw the most random thing in Omotesando last week. Driving along the road was a huge bus with a giant picture of the Pink Panther painted on the side. The windows were screens showing animations of the Pink Panther. And, the best bit, it was playing the theme tune! As embarrassed as I am to admit it, I did find my feet moving to the beat of the music, and I had to bury my face in my coat because I started laughing. Only in Japan.

1 comment:

ミス・イギリス said...

1. Gah, I hate rude gaijin!!
2. I wondered why Bratz weren't in Japan already.... thought that they would take off because they look like those Blythe dolls that are everywhere...

3. I LOVE MR SCRUFF TOO!! I saw him when I was at uni in England (in Liverpool) and I had to wait til 4am til he came on and it was worth everything!! I think, due to Japan's fondness for whales, Shanty Town would sell very well over here!!!(!)