Monday, February 11, 2008

National Foundation Day

Today is National Foundation Day, a public holiday, so I worked a weekend shift at Gaba. On the way, I passed a film crew filming something at my local subway station which seemed interesting. Then I got on the emptiest train I have seen in Japan yet. Several cars were literally empty, and it was a very weird sight.

Then I emerged blinking into the sunlight in Omotesando to find a parade in progress. I didn't have my camera with me so there are no photos but it was a colourful event, with a full band and dancers. People were lining the streets watching the procession. It made me laugh when I heard them playing the Indiana Jones theme tune.

Then I taught two lessons, which went fine. I was a bit worried because I'd heard that one of my students always complained about his teachers but he suggested that he might like to book me again! I checked online last night, and I have had one evaluation so far, which gave me 5/5.

On the way to Subway for lunch (I had a lovely Toasted Cream Cheese Chicken sub) I saw a photo-shoot on the road with a model posing by the roadside. Next time I see her it'll be on a billboard in Shibuya!

Then I taught another three lessons, two of which were with a student I taught on Saturday, and he booked me again.

While I ate dinner at home (a traditional meal of pizza and chips) I listened to my housemate's stories of Osaka and Kyoto, which he visited over the weekend (I really want to go!) and watched Heroes in Japanese. It was beautifully badly dubbed and I couldn't help laughing out loud when the characters referred to the dog as 'Misutaa Magaruzu'. Sum0 said that when he saw Heroes subtitled, Hiro and Ando's Japanese was subtitled too, and they were dubbed in this too.

Tomorrow I have a demo lesson with a private student and I might have a proper private lesson too. I got a job offer earlier that I think I'll probably have to turn down because I don't have the time!

No comments: