Thursday, February 7, 2008

Omotesando & Harajuku

After the demo lesson, I wandered into Omotesando, which is a lovely area, especially in the sun. It's the posh, expensive part of Tokyo, actually I should say "one of the posh, expensive parts". It has Louis Vuitton and Benetton and shops like that. The price of coffee doubles by walking down the road.

I found this random shrine off a major road, which was empty and very peaceful. It was surrounded by apartment buildings, and several balconies overlooked it, how great would that be?!
The shrine doubled up as a graveyard.
Is it wrong that I often think the red gates are more impressive than the duller temples? Although they are still very nice.
An incense burner in the centre of the courtyard.
A very big graveyard.

I felt like I could be in Morocco or somewhere with this view.

The shrine was just randomly off this busy intersection! I love that about Tokyo, one minute you're being carried along by a crowd, the next you can't hear any traffic and you're all alone.
A stylish building, which I happen to work in.
The exterior of the Omotesando Hills shopping complex.
Looking back over the street.
If you know the Birmingham Bull Ring, then you will know what I mean when I said it reminded me of it.

This is one of the many many shops there.
Oooh, disorientating.

A typical example of Japan's blend of traditional and modern, a shrine covered with a white metal and glass structure.
JR Harajuku Station! I recognised it immediately.
'Your name write Japanese. Price you decide'. Sounds good!
There were lots of people selling things on the street. I was cornered by one selling paintings, and I spent several minutes trying to think of a way to escape, but then liked one and ended up buying it for Y1,000!
One of Tange Kenzo's Olympic-sized stadiums in nearby Yoyogi Park (Central Park if you read my earlier post).
And there's the other one. They were built for the 1964 Tokyo Olympics and are now used for sporting events. Tokyo is an applicant city for the 1016 Olympics by the way, the signs are everywhere.

I thought this was a nice sight. That's the wall surrounding the stadiums.
The torii (Shinto gate) heralding the approach to Meiji Shrine in Yoyogi Park.
Big, huh?

It was really weird to be in the middle of this woodland, the sounds and rush of Tokyo were completely masked by the forest and streams.

This is the largest torii in Japan, at the main entrance to the shrine. It was built using wood from Taiwan in 1975 (the original was destroyed, either in the 1923 Great Kanto earthquake or World War II).

There's still some snow left from Sunday in places where the sun rarely hits (quite common in Tokyo with all the buildings. My guesthouse sees sun for about half an hour in late afternoon before it sets behind some apartment buildings on the opposite side of the road, the rest of the time we live in the shade!).
Similar to Suitengu Shrine, worshippers drink and wash their hands in the water from this 'trough'.
Beautifully clear day today after yesterday's rain, snow and mist. The weather is really changeable here.
This is the actual Meiji Shrine complex.





It cost Y500 to get into the Shrine's gardens but I thought I had to.




A Japanese heron!

Loads and loads of fish. Apparently the Emperor Meiji and the Empress would fish here.
Being alone in such a quiet place gave me a chance to think about how I should start the first chapter of the next book in the series my younger brother Dominic and I have been writing. I'm still no closer to figuring it out!
This is Kiyomasa's well.

"Famous for the superiority of water's quality. NO DRINKING!" How funny.
Nice to see a bird. All the pigeons I've seen are completely fearless. In Asakusa on Sunday I was actually treading carefully between them as they bobbed around in case I stepped on one!
Rows and rows of lanterns in the Shrine approach.
Opposite them were barrels of wine (not full) from France to signify Japan and France's friendship since the Meiji Era.
You might have guessed by now, I have to take photos of little cute snowmen, it's a compulsion.
Then I headed into Harajuku proper, and saw the weird and wonderful.
This is Takeshita Street. It seemed to be epicentre of fashionable and kooky.
A shop catering for Harajuku Girls, as made famous by Gwen Stefani.
Although there were plenty around, this is the best photo opportunity I got.
I wandered up and down that road several times, each time coming across something new. Here they play music I actually recognise!
The following videos were taken at random intervals along the road, I don't know how interesting you will find them, but you can see what it was like!

I headed back to Omotesando station, encountering crowds bustling around the shops.
Tomorrow, I have my first paid lesson with a student in Shinagawa (I'll get the right Starbucks this time!) and I start at Gaba on Saturday. Busy busy busy!!

No comments: