Sunday, February 3, 2008

A Night in Shibuya

I had been invited to a party by Findateacher.net in Shibuya, the hip and happening part of Tokyo for trendy young people. Why were you invited then, I hear you ask.

The party was at Ruby Room and Sonoma Restaurant. The invitations said I could invite people so I asked my housemates and the friend who helped me buy my Softbank phone if they wanted to come along. And to my slight surprise, 5 of us went!

It cost Y2,500 (about £12.50) to get in and then there were all you could drink cocktails and soft drinks, and all you can eat pizza and nibbles (which we ate with chopsticks).

It was incredibly busy there as you can see from the photo below.

I was surprised to see people smoking in a bar, since the UK's smoking ban was enforced last July, I've got used to the air being cleaner in places like that, but I came out stinking of smoke!

It lasted from 6.30 til 9 and we didn't get all that much food because there were so many people in the way who got there first!

One of our group had had a three hour trip for a University entrance exam and interview that morning so he did very well to keep upright I think!

We chatted with several random people (even the shy ones in the group, including me!) and one man even joined us afterwards for a drink at another bar.

We had a great time, and left at about 11.30 to get home.

I was in the toilet when the others paid for their drinks, so I walked out of there offering money to someone (because I thought he paid for my drink) and he was very confused. We finally realised that I had wandered out of the place without paying, so I quickly went back and gave them the Y550.

The main Shibuya intersection outside the station was absolutely manic! You couldn't see the cars queuing to cross the road through all the people! And there were so many neon lights and signs that, if you didn't look up into the sky, it could have been midday.

An amazing night! Something I arranged went well! What a shock.

No comments: