Thursday, January 24, 2008

Bank Accounts

What a day!

To quote 'Friends', could it have BEEN any more hectic?

It started off nicely enough. I woke up and lazed in bed for a bit, turned on my Softbank phone and started playing with it - then it rings! And it's Gaba, confirming that I've got the job, and need to have a bank account open before contract signing at 11am tomorrow.

So I hurriedly ring Tokyo Mitsubishi UFJ (Gaba's recommended bank) to ask if the receipt of my Alien Registration card will be enough to open an account and if Gaba were right and, because I would be working with them, I could open an account despite being under 20. They said yes, that's fine.

So I hopped on the Hibiya line to Nihonbashi, prepared for another three hour search for the right bank, but I was sure I'd passed MUFJ several hundred times before, and I had! I found it on a map written entirely in kanji (go me) and it was a very short walk away.

I took a number from the ticket machine and waited for about 15 minutes. I went up to the counter when my number (75) was called and I asked if she spoke English. She didn't, so she got someone who did. She said to open an account, I had to go upstairs, so one of the workers showed me the way. I then spoke to a woman who supposedly (not supposably) spoke English and after about an hour of language negotiation, I understood that the receipt was not enough. I needed a more official document. So I left, and then returned, armed with the fact that I had rung Head Office and they had said the receipt was fine. Then I spoke to a Japanese-American woman (why couldn't I speak to her in the first place?) who said that unfortunately, the receipt was not enough, and she would ask her manager to ring Gaba and explain the situation. She wrote down the name of the document I needed in kanji for me.

So I hurried to Chuo-ku Ward Office, two subway trips away, where I applied for my Alien Registration card last week, and filled in one of the yellow forms labelled 'For Foreigners'. I think she called it a 'genpo' (pronounced 'gempo'). It was the right form! I wondered how long this document would take - days, weeks, months? It took about 10 minutes. Yay! I had to pay Y300 (£1.50).

By this time it was 14.30 and all MUFJ branches close at 15.00. So I ran back to Tsukiji station, where I'd seen an arrow on the station pointing to the nearest branch. So I went back, Pasmo'ed my way onto the platform, then found the right exit. And it wouldn't let me leave! I explained in extremely broken Japanese to the guard that I hadn't been on a train, I'd just come onto the platform. He used my Pasmo card to buy another ticket (grgh) and I left. The MUFJ bank was just around the corner and I arrived with 10 minutes til closing time.

I was sure they would send me away, saying it was too late to open a bank account, come back tomorrow, but they sat me down with some forms and helped me through them. I had to write my name, address, phone number and date of birth several times on different pieces of paper, but, at about 15.10, they told me to get a ticket from the machine, and wait for it to be called. Ten minutes later, 723 was called and I went up to the counter.

The woman didn't speak English and was desperately trying to tell me something. About 15 minutes later, she told me I'd have to come back another day with a Japanese-speaking friend. No!! I asked if there was anyone who spoke English at the bank. She went to have a look. And there was! A very nice woman who introduced herself as Nakamura, and spoke very good English, then took over.

Then came the real problems! First of all, they spent over 30 minutes pondering over my address, because what I had written on the forms was different to what the Ward Office had written. They checked Sakura House's website, used an interactive map to find my exact building, used online address finders etc etc. I suggested they rang Sakura House to confirm the address, but they said it would be an invasion of privacy. I didn't mind! Finally, it took me reciting my address, in Japanese, back to them. It turns out that I hadn't written the building name (because it was extremely long and didn't fit into the space on the form) on their document so they were confused.

Then there was a problem with me using my signature to open an account at this branch. The Nihonbashi branch said "Sign ok" but the Tsukiji branch needed a Hanko (name stamp) to open one. I said I didn't have one. She then printed me out a map and wrote me a note to the owner of the nearest Hanko shop to my home.

Then they said that I had to open an account at the branch nearest to my home - Oudenma-cho branch (right by my nearest Hanko shop, conveniently) and couldn't open one here for me. I asked if Oudenma-cho would allow me to open an account with my signature, not a stamp. They rang them up, and found out that it would be okay to open one with my signature, but I would need a Hanko later to transfer my official signature to the stamp.

Nakamura said that I could get my bank book immediately when I opened the account, but my bank card would be sent in the post using Special Delivery. If I missed the postman (very likely as he might not know where to go for my room) he'd leave a message, and I would have to take my passport, my Hanko and the message to a post office (not sure which one) and collect it from there. That would be 7-10 days after I opened my account.

Then they realised that I needed proof that I was working at Gaba (something Gaba had told me wasn't needed) so I produced my preliminary contract I'd been given. They said it was okay but tomorrow the Oudenma-cho branch would need to ring Gaba to confirm.

Then Gaba phoned me. It was one of those Phoebe moments (sorry, another 'Friends' quote, but I miss it) - "Ugh, who's phone is that? It's so annoying. Everywhere you go!"
And yes, it was mine. I explained the situation to them and they said that if I couldn't open an account by 11am tomorrow, we'd have to re-schedule the contract signing in February. No!! I can't put this off, I need money!

I explained to Nakamura the urgency of me opening this account before 11am tomorrow and she wrote a note to someone at Oudenma-cho explaining the situation. Then she stuck a note on the Gaba contract saying it was okay to ring Gaba to confirm that I was going to work there.

By this time, it was nearly 16.45 and I knew that they must be really frustrated with me. I kept apologising and they shook their heads and said it was fine. I was the last customer left in the bank, all of the workers were still there, but I felt bad using up their time.

They printed me out a map of the Oudenma-cho branch's location and labelled the nearest subway exit and the route for me. Then they wished me good luck and they hoped for the best for tomorrow.

I took the Hibiya line home, bought two ready meals (I hadn't eaten anything all day) and flopped down at 18.00 to get some nourishment.

So, tomorrow, I'm going to get up at 7am, get into my business clothes, go straight to the Oudenma-cho branch for its opening at 9am, hopefully there won't be any problems (ha!), I'll get my bank book, then go to the Gaba Recruitment Centre at Ebisu and sign my contract. After that, I can go back to the same area as Oudenma-cho and order my Hanko name stamp (it takes a day to make it). That's the plan! But I'd put money on something going wrong and there being SOME problem.

Many thanks to the people at Tsukiji's Mitsubishi UFJ Bank. They were the nicest customer service people I've ever met. They were very friendly, understanding, interested in my travels, eager to help, and went well beyond the call of duty (and their finishing time).

Big day tomorrow! Fingers crossed it all goes to plan...

1 comment:

Matt said...

To quote Friends: Oh, my god! Sounds like you'd been through a lot. But I really admire your persevering. When I was told I couldn't get a bank account, I gave up... but sounds like you're on the right track! Best of luck.

(Sorry, I didn't check your blog for a while...!)