Monday, January 28, 2008

Hanko Registration

Unless you know exactly where a place is, never, ever go anywhere without a map, and even then, take one anyway.

I went to collect the Hanko name stamp I bought on Friday this morning. It was just outside the train station, but I still got lost. It took me 15 minutes to find the place, but when I did it was very easy. He remembered me and produced my stamp, showing me the mark it made.

If you need to find out how to write your name in Japanese (it will probably be in katakana) then this site is quite good. Mine is just my surname in katakana, but you could have it in kanji similar to the sounds in your name too, but it's probably best to stick to simple to avoid any possible confusion.

Then I headed to Tokyo Mitsubishi UFJ Bank to change my official signature from 'sign' to Hanko stamp. It has a different name when you use it for official documents, an inkan. Easier to remember because it has the word 'ink' in it.

I asked one of the employees how to do it and she gave me a couple of forms to fill in my name and address on. Then I took a ticket from the machine and waited for half an hour to be called. It was then that I realised I hadn't brought the proof of Alien Registration with me. I thought I'd have to go back and get it but it turned out it wasn't a problem. I filled in some forms and stamped about a billion things. The whole process took about 45 minutes, but it would have been quicker if I could have understood everything she said to me.

That was done! This wasn't on my initial itinerary but I decided to go to Chuo-ku Ward Office to see if I had to register my inkan as my official signature.

I did have to! I asked one of the men standing near the door and he helped me through the form, then gave me a ticket from the machine and I waited. I was called up to the counter after about 10 minutes and they gave me another form to fill in, and I had to sign and stamp in several boxes. The whole process took about 45 minutes again. At one point, I saw a card with my face on it in a folder they were using and I wondered if it was my Gaikokujin Tourokusho (Alien Registration Card).

It wasn't a problem here either that I didn't have the receipt of my Alien Registration or the certificate. I did have my passport and that seemed to do.

They gave me the certificate that said that I had registered my inkan as my official signature and a card that I could put into any Ward Office in Chuo-ku to obtain a copy of this certificate. I had to choose a 4-digit PIN number for this. It cost me Y350 (£1.75ish).

And then they surprised me by giving me my Alien Registration Card! I was meant to collect it on Valentine's Day but it was ready early! So that was definitely a trip worth making.

Another successful morning! I can now cross a lot of things off my 'To-do List'!

No comments: