Monday, January 21, 2008

Softbank phone!

At long last, I have a Softbank phone! It's been such a struggle, as my earlier post describes.

But, basically, I needed someone over 20 with me to fill in the form and buy it under their name. And I found that person! I asked one of my housemates, Hyunwoo, if he could help me out, and he suggested one of his friends.

So I met up with her at a station just three stops along the Hanzomon line, to a place I'd never been before, so it was nice to see a new area of Tokyo. We went to the nearest Softbank shop and waited our turn for about 20 minutes or so, and were then told that because Softbank was planning to discontinue the prepaid service (Pay-as-you-go in the UK), they no longer sold them!

But they suggested we try Yodobashi Akiba, where I bought my camera. So we walked there, and were told that they didn't stock them anymore, because they were being discontinued! We tried a couple of the other major phone companies, NTT DoCoMo and KDDI but they said the same.

We were stumped, until we bumped into a friend of hers. She suggested we try the Sunkus convenience store round the corner. And they had one! The handset cost Y4,800 (just less than £25), which one of my housemates said was very expensive (that's really cheap!), and then you can choose between Y3,000 (£15) and Y5,000 (£25) top-ups.

It was a bit of a phaff sorting out the registration form. Once we'd filled it in, we had to copy her ID and then fax that copy and the form to Softbank. We had a bit of trouble, but it was sorted in the end and the phone works great!

We changed it so it displays all instructions, contacts and menus in English and you can have recorded information for when you ring them in English too if you ring 1400 from the phone (it's free but has to be done before you do anything else with the phone) and then try to decipher the Japanese (she had to help me), you press 3 at one point, listen for a bit longer, then press 2. Then the # (hash) key and 9 to finish the call.

Then we topped up for the first time by calling 1400 and then following the instructions given, typing in the number on the top-up card/ receipt with two stars around it.

The instruction manuals came in both English and Japanese, and seem quite comprehensive, despite making that most famous of mistakes - "Engrish".

So I got my phone! Which I'm very pleased about. But it does mean that anybody wanting to do a similar thing to me won't be able to get the prepaid service in a year or so. Which is a shame because it's perfect for foreigners coming over for a few months, not needing a contract for a year at a time (which I think is the only option once the discontinuation comes into play). But I think the reason is to do with people using prepaid phones for crime. Shame though.

After writing this, I was informed that only some pre-paid phones were being discountinued, so it's probably still possible to do the same thing as I did. You can read the new information here.

So, thank you very much for all your help Kyoko! You were very helpful and it was great to meet you. I'll take good care of our phone!

6 comments:

Unknown said...

glad to here you're getting settled in well and everythings going OK!

im watching this page religiously now 'cos i think its amazing what you're doing! you've actually inspired me. I never realised how possible and accessible doing this was ... I've already started learning my Kana =]

You better not forget about this blog!

how's the japanese comming along? any noticable improvement yet?

Miles said...

Wow, Jamie. That's great that you're enjoying the blog. Thank you very much for reading. I most certainly will not forget about the blog!!

That's great that you've started learning Kana - good luck with it!

The downside of having taught myself Japanese is not having anyone to talk to, and while it's very easy to speak English all day here, I've been forcing myself to keep to Japanese and I'm starting to improve! I can now understand announcements on the subway, and hold a basic conversation without saying 'Aahh, wakarimasen' so being here is definitely the best way to do it!!

Keep reading and I'll try to be as helpful as possible!

Unknown said...

heh, im glad you're noticing improvement already! just think how fluent you'll be in 10 months! you wont even have to think! You'll definatly have a good head start at uni!

The kana's comming along nicely, but i only know about 20 of the hiragana at the mo >.< im going to get hold of some japanese childrens books soon though so i can start reading pure japanese texts and just get used to it!

Glad everythings going ok! but remember to enjoy it aswell yeah!

Miles said...

The Japanese children's book is a very good idea. I got one from the Japan Centre in Piccadilly, London.

I didn't understand every word, but you get the general idea and it's great for trying to get faster with reading - even if you can just make some of the sounds in your head.

All the kanji (if any is used) will have furigana (the small hiragana telling you how to pronounce it) so it's great!

My favourite story was 'Saru to kani', 'Monkey and Crab'. Let me know if you come across it!

Miles

kyoko said...

たにんのブログでじぶんのなまえをみるのはちょっとはずかしいものですね(^^;
でも、よろこんでもらえてうれしいです。
きょうこ
Do you understand my Japanese?

Miles said...

Hi Kyoko!!

To the best of my translating skill... you said something like:

"When I saw my name on your blog, I was embarrassed for a moment. But then I was happy.
Kyoko."

Is that anything at all like what you intended?

At least you're making me practise!!

Miles