Monday, January 28, 2008

Hamacho Park

Yesterday (Sunday) was my day off from doing things. I needed some time to sort stuff out, do laundry and some food shopping, that kind of thing.

I walked down to my local supermarket, Daimaru Peacock, and on the way, saw some archways leading down the centre of a road, with trees around it. I knew I'd be loaded down with heavy bags afterwards, so I decided to take a detour and see what it was before I shopped. I'd seen it before several times but never explored, so I wanted to take this opportunity.

Unfortunately I don't have photos because I thought I was just going shopping.

I walked under these white arches, covered in some kind of creeping plant, and entered into a long, narrow grove full of trees and bushes, with a cobbled path winding through them. I was immediately taken in by the place. I had to explore more.

Most of the trees were bare but they had little signs attached with their scientific names and photos of them in full bloom. The bushes were lovely, covered in leaves and small flowers.

I walked up, leaving the main intersection and into a quieter residential area. This day was beautifully bright and clear, not a cloud in the sky. When you found a spot of sunlight, it was lovely and warm, it could have been April or May, but one area near my guesthouse never sees sun as it sits behind such a huge building, and the pond there was covered in ice!

I crossed the road at a crossroads and then went back into a similar park-area in the centre of the next road. Here, there was a stream that ran the entire length of the area. There was only water at the bottom end of it, where there was a filter, and at the top, there was a dry fountain. So I guess they turn it on and fill the entire stream with water in the summer. There were rocks and an ornate Japanese bridge, and all of this was surrounded by birds, trees and bushes. Very nice.

I left that grove and began to turn back for the supermarket, but I saw a patch of trees a short walk up another road. So I explored some more.

This was Hamacho Park, which I'd seen on maps, but never been to. Small Japanese parks aren't usually grassy, they have a variety of flowerbeds and paved paths, but this one did have an area of grass. But, as it's Winter, it was brown and bare. I can't wait to return to this place in Spring, when things start to bloom and plants grow properly. Then I'll take some photos.

This park borders Sumida River, so I walked up onto a pavillion overlooking the river. The water was sparkling with the sun and everything had a fresh, clean look to it, despite the elevated highway over my head.

There were some teenage boys messing around nearby and I automatically assumed that they were grafittiing or vandalising something. They were practising t'ai chi.

I wandered along the river for a bit, then returned to the park and found a swimming pool in the Sports Centre there. Good to know, I might fancy a swim sometime.

Then I wandered through the children's playground, where families were playing baseball, basketball, see-saw and on the equipment. It brought out the inner-child within me. I wanted to skip or climb on something. Obviously I didn't, I attract enough stares without doing that kind of thing.

It was when I stopped next to the park's shrine and turned back to look at the trees over a pond beneath the blue sky that I felt truly happy to be here. I was glad that I was in Tokyo. Pleased that I'd put myself through a lot of work to get here, and was now finally really happy that I could be in Japan.

Then I spent £40 on food!!

No comments: