Saturday, January 19, 2008

Shinsei Bank

Toukyou wa fukuzatsu dayou!

Tokyo is complicated. A profound statement.
Today I wanted to find out if I could actually open a Japanese bank account being under 20 once and for all. So I took the subway one stop to Mitsukoshimae station, spent ages trying to remember which exit it was (there are about 25 from this station) and finally decided on one. I walked the 350 metres up to it, then exited, deciding to try to find the bank above-ground.

Long story short, three hours later I ended up at the first building I walked past to go to Shinsei bank (recommended by the JAWHM).

And guess what! No bank accounts for under-20s! Which confirmed what I knew already, I just needed to hear it from the horse's mouth. And those words were: "Izu imposhibaru". But I wasn't downcast. I'd seen most of Nihonbashi, a very nice modern area housing some of Tokyo's oldest businesses, particularly financial centres, and found out what I needed to know.

I came back, and found that some carriages on trains are Women Only in the morning rush hour on some lines. Presumably to avoid sexual harassment issues.
I bought a couple of last minute supplies for the stirfry, applied for another 12 jobs on Gaijin Pot.com (one of which had over 1,700 other applicants - so not much chance of getting that one!) and then started cooking.

It was chicken, noodles, carrots, mushrooms, onion, and soy sauce. And it worked very well! As usual, I made too much, but it was very tasty.

Then I had strawberries and Oreos for pudding. So it was a very tasty meal all in all.

2 comments:

Rafael MJ said...

I remember when I went from Tokyo to Yokohama I got on one of those carriages only for women in rush hours. They were mostly pink painted :o) Although I think it's a pity thing like that are necessary. They should make carriages only for perverted people and lock them there!

Skuzby said...

they crazy- i know you could be having a bank- god damn white men

it sounds like you are having fun too!

good luck with the jobs!